Today is Monday, October 29, the 303rd day of the year.
Brookfield Preps for Another Halloween Storm
Updates: Tracking Hurricane Sandy
Mailbag: Resident Writes In on Charter Revision
Monday: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 59. Windy, with a north wind 23 to 28 mph increasing to 33 to 38 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent.
Monday Night: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 55. Very windy, with a southeast wind 38 to 43 mph decreasing to 29 to 34 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Brookfield Chamber of Commerce is holding a book talk at Jester's Coffee today at 11 a.m., discussing local author Tara Alemany's "Character Based Leadership." Follow this link for details.
- Sign up for emergency notifications through the town's website. Click here for more.
Today in History
- 1863: Eighteen countries meet in Geneva and agree to form the International Red Cross.
- 1886: The first ticker-tape parade takes place in New York City when office workers spontaneously throw ticker tape into the streets as the Statue of Liberty is dedicated.
- 1929: The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday," ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression.
- 1994: Francisco Martin Duran fires over two dozen shots at the White House and is later convicted of trying to kill President Bill Clinton.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.