Today is Thursday, May 24, the 145th day of the year.
Thursday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m. Areas of fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. East wind between 3 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Thursday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 11 p.m. Patchy fog after 1 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. Southeast wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- is pulling out the grill today at 4 p.m. for a Patient Appreciation Day BBQ. .
- Supporters of building a dog park in Brookfield are asked to attend a meeting tonight at at 7 p.m. or check out the story above.
- The Board of Selectmen (BOS) has a special meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Town Hall to consider the final report from the Charter Revision Commission.
Today in History
- 1626: Peter Minuit buys Manhattan.
- 1830: Mary Had a Little Lamb by Sarah Josepha Hale is published.
- 1883: The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City is opened to traffic after 14 years of construction.
- 1994: Four men convicted of bombing the World Trade Center in 1993 are each sentenced to 240 years in prison.
- 2001: Fifteen-year-old Sherpa Temba Tsheri becomes the youngest person to climb to the top of Mount Everest.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.