Today is Wednesday, May 16, the 137th day of the year.
Wednesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Areas of dense fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 78. South wind between 3 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Wednesday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 9 p.m., then a slight chance of showers between 9pm and midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. West wind at 7 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Rita Marie Bryant will be teaching the first of two classes on Animal Communication tonight at 6:30 p.m. in . .
- The Board of Finance (BOF) has a special meeting at 7 p.m. in Town Hall to set the 2012-13 mill rate.
- The Board of Education (BOE) has a regular meeting in the (BHS) media center at 7 p.m.
Today in History
- 1771: A pre-American Revolutionary War battle between local militia and a group of rebels called the "Regulators" occurs in present-day Alamance County, NC.
- 1866: The U.S. Congress eliminates the half dime coin and replaces it with the five cent piece, or nickel.
- 1868: President Andrew Johnson is acquitted in his impeachment trial by one vote in the U.S. Senate.
- 1918: The Sedition Act of 1918 is passed, making criticism of the government an imprisonable offense.
- 1988: A report by U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop states that the addictive properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.