Today is Friday, May 11, the 132nd day of the year.
Later Today: Winner of
Friday: Sunny, with a high near 67. Northwest wind between 10 and 18 mph.
Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 38. Northwest wind between 3 and 9 mph.
Events & Reminders
- Girl Scout Troop 50410 is holding a multi-family tag sale to raise money for their trip to Washington, D.C. at the Saturday starting at 10 a.m. .
- The 15th Annual Big Wheel 500 is Saturday at 2 p.m. in the parking lot. .
- The Brookfield Lacrosse Club is hosting a Parent's Night Out benefit dinner and dance at 6 p.m. Saturday night at The Amber Room in Danbury. .
- The annual Mother's Day 5K is Sunday at 9 a.m. on the (BHS) track. Registration closes today. .
Today in History
- 1820: Launch of HMS Beagle, the ship that took Charles Darwin on his scientific voyage, inspiring The Origin of the Species.
- 1995: In New York City, more than 170 countries decide to extend the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty indefinitely and without conditions.
- 1997: Deep Blue, a chess-playing supercomputer, defeats Garry Kasparov in the last game of the rematch, becoming the first computer to beat a world-champion chess player in a classic match format.
- 1998: India conducts three underground atomic tests in Pokhran to include a thermonuclear device.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.