Today is Thursday, January 26, the 26th day of the year.
Thursday: A chance of rain, mainly after 3 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent.
Thursday Night: Rain. Patchy fog. Low around 35. South wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The Charter Revision Commission (CRC) will present its preliminary recommendations to the public tonight at a special public hearing at 7 p.m. in the Seminar Room at (WMS). or .
- The Zoning Commission has its second regular monthly meeting tonight in starting at 7 p.m.
Today in History
- 1564: The Council of Trent issues its conclusions in the Tridentinum, establishing a distinction between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism.
- 1788: The British First Fleet, led by Arthur Phillip, sails into Port Jackson to establish Sydney, the first permanent European settlement on the Australian continent.
- 1863: Governor of Massachusetts John Albion Andrew receives permission from Secretary of War to raise a militia organization for men of African descent.
- 1905: The world's largest diamond ever, the Cullinan weighing 3,106.75 carats, is found at the Premier Mine near Pretoria in South Africa.
- 2004: President Hamid Karzai signs the new constitution of Afghanistan.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.