Today is Monday, April 30, the 121st day of the year.
Blog: Brookfielder in Thailand
Monday: Sunny, with a high near 63. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph.
Monday Night: Showers likely, mainly after midnight. Increasing clouds, with a low around 44. South wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Events & Reminders
- is holding a class on Henna Design, the Indian art form using dyes, starting at 6:30 p.m. .
Today in History
- 1006: Supernova SN 1006, the brightest supernova in recorded history, appears in the constellation Lupus.
- 1492: Spain gives Christopher Columbus his commission of exploration.
- 1789: On the balcony of Federal Hall on Wall Street in New York City, George Washington takes the oath of office to become the first elected President of the United States.
- 1803: The U.S. purchases the Louisiana Territory from France for $15 million, more than doubling the size of the young nation.
- 1945: Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun commit suicide after being married for one day. Soviet soldiers raise the Victory Banner over the Reichstag Building.
- 2004: U.S. media release graphic photos of American soldiers abusing and sexually humiliating Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.