A suburb of New York City, Fairfield County, Conn., is flush with affluence, rich cultural offerings, stellar school systems, lush parks and beaches, and vibrant downtowns. And four of its towns figure prominently in a new list that ranks the 25 best cities in the country for renters raising families.
The list was compiled by Rent.com. Among other factors, they looked at communities with low crime rates, high school scores, high percentage of family households, and high rental inventory.
Here are the Connecticut towns that made the list, and what rent.com had to say about each:
Ridgefield (No. 24)
- Median Rent for a 2-Bedroom Apartment: $2,850
- "A little town with a lot happening culturally, Ridgefield is home to 25,000 residents, 11 respected schools and a large variety of recreational activities."
New Canaan (No. 18)
- Median Rent for a 2-Bedroom Apartment: $4,429
- "Considered a haven for book editors and writers, as well as advertising executives and corporate families, New Canaan remains quaintly filled with boutique and chain stores and one of the state’s best schools systems."
Wilton (No. 12)
- Median Rent for a 2-Bedroom Apartment: $3,383
- "A charming, historic, affluent community on Connecticut’s Gold Coast that places a high value on education, Wilton is a destination for young families that looking to escape from big city life in Manhattan."
Darien (No. 6)
- Median Rent for a 2-Bedroom Apartment: $3,590
- "Frequently named a 'top-earning towns' in the United States, Darien is also home to some of the best schools in Connecticut."
Check out Rent.com to see the full list of cities as well as a statement about their methodology in coming up with the list.
Think your community is great for renters raising a family? Tell us what town and why.