The following is a press release from the Brookfield Charter Revision Commission:
The Brookfield Charter Revision Commission (BCRC) has completed its Draft Document and accordingly will hold a Public Hearing. The BCRC members include Fred Ball, Matt Grimes (Chairman), Stanley Parker (Secretary), Dan Smolnik, Jon Van Hise, (Vice Chairman) Linda Wagner and George Walker.
Connecticut General Statutes (7-191) requires all Charter Revision Commissions to hold two public hearings: “one prior to the beginning of any substantive work” and one “after the draft report” to the Board of Selectmen (BOS). The public hearing on the Draft Report will be held on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM in Room 133-34 of Brookfield Town Hall – 100 Pocono Road.
The BCRC's Draft Document, which is on file with the Town Clerk's office, includes the following recommended changes:
- Bifurcation of the Annual Budget Referendum for separate votes on town and school budgets
- Mandating advisory questions on the ballot
- Creating the elected office of Town Meeting Moderator
- Allowing all elected Boards and Commissions to fill their own vacancies
- Clarification of the Ethics Section
- Several grammatical and non-substantive changes.
The BCRC invites and encourages all Brookfield citizens to attend. Those unable to attend the hearing on the 23rd are encouraged to send the BCRC written correspondence via writing or email (email@example.com) through the town web site (www.brookfieldct.gov). The BOS will also be holding a public hearing in the near future. Any recommended changes eventually approved by the Board of Selectmen will be considered by the electorate in the November 2014 election ballot.