The is the place to be this week for kids and adults alike. A unique program for young readers is being offered, as well as an art class for the youngest students. Adults can get one-on-one tech assistance or catch an award winning film.
Activities for Kids:
- Give your preschooler a taste of the arts this week at Start with Art, a creative art program at the library designed just for four- and five-year-olds. Attend the class on Tuesday or Thursday at 1 p.m.
- Young readers are invited to , a therapy dog who will listen carefully to your child’s every word and help them develop confidence in their reading abilities. Gabrielle will be at the Brookfield Library from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday. Be sure to call ahead to save a spot for your child, as space is limited.
Activities and Classes for Adults:
- Do you love to knit, make new friends and expand your skills? Join the Candlewood Valley Knitting Guild on Wednesday, January 19, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. for friendship, knitting and other needle arts. The group learns new techniques, shares projects and always welcomes newcomers. Held at the Brookfield Library in the community room, the first meeting is free.
- The Social Network (rescheduled from last week due to weather) will be shown at the library in the community room on Thursday, January 20, at 3 p.m. The film tells the story of the creation of Facebook and recently won the Golden Globe Award for Best Picture — Drama.
- Need some help learning to use your new eReader, GPS or digital camera? Residents can sign up for a 20-minute session to have their questions answered and learn how to get the most out of the new technology. The IT Librarian will be available on Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Call or stop in the library to schedule a time.
- Set the snow shovel aside this weekend and ease the pain in your back and neck at on Saturday with Kripalu Yoga teacher Doug Greene. Learn proven techniques to relieve your aching back safely. Beginning level students welcome. The workshop will be held from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and costs $25 if you preregister.
A Valentine’s Day Workshop will be held on Friday, February 4, from 5 p.m to 7 p.m. for children ages three to 10 at Town Hall. Kids can make a Valentine’s craft as a gift for a parent or just for fun. The class fee is $15 and registration is required through the Brookfield Parks and Recreation Department.