It could be cold in March, so indoors may be the best place to observe K-9 Veterans Day.
Some will celebrate on Saturday March 9, as March 13 is on a Wednesday. But please do something on the 13th as well.
Involve the military if at all possible, plus Civil Air Patrol, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H clubs, ROTC, American Legion, VFW, Police K-9, Search and Rescue, FBI, Customs, Secret Service, etc.
- Do demonstrations by working dogs.
- Have a dog parade or decorate your local dog park.
- Speak to the schools about war dogs and get the kids involved.
- Notify the press that the celebration is coming.
- Do something for the dog handlers in the military, here and abroad.
- Tell everyone you know about us.
- Involve local dog shelters etc., as some mix breeds were war dogs in WWII.
- Perhaps have something like a food drive for dogs without homes.
- Contact your mayor and/or governor about declaring March 13 K-9 Veterans Day in a proclamation.
For more ideas, please view the following video: Michigan K-9 Veterans Day Celebration March 10, 2012