This article was originally published on March 5, 2012.
Kids Kingdom II will be mechanically complete this spring. It has been determined that the landscaping for the facility will be largely a volunteer effort and the is looking for volunteers to help.
The activities to be accomplished include:
- Moving the plants to the appropriate location;
- Amending the soil;
- Preparing the plants for planting;
- Removing the ball and excess debris from the 20-plus trees;
- Taking the shrubs out of pails and loosening the roots;
- Digging the holes;
- Planting the trees and shrubs (in total more than 80);
- Spreading the mulch and watering the plants;
- Running the "refreshment stand";
- Ongoing monitoring and watering of the plantings throughout the year.
In addition, the town could use donations for the refreshment stand or financial contributions to pay for some of the trees damaged in the snowstorm last October.
As some of the work will include "heavy lifting," Parks and Rec is asking some men to volunteer to help.
A total of 30 volunteers will be needed and all of the work will be supervised by master gardeners.
Date: Sunday, April 29 (rain date May 6)
Time: Beginning around 9 a.m.
Location: Behind Town Hall
Clothing: Clothes suitable for working in a garden
Tools: Bring your shovels, rakes, hand cultivators, wheels barrels, etc. Please mark them to keep them from being lost.
If you are interested in helping with this project, please contact Deirdra Wallin before March 31 at Deirdra114@yahoo.com.