Take in the sights and sounds of autumn this weekend by spending time in nature with these fun family events.
- Head to the Pratt Center in New Milford for Nature at Night, on Friday, September 30 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Kids can explore the sights and sounds of the farmyard, meadows, pond and river after the sun goes down. This is a drop-off program designed for kids ages six through 14. The fee is $30 per child and pre-registration is required.
- Explore the fields, woods and streams of guided by teachers on Saturday, October 1. Kids ages seven to 12 will take a guided hike, learn about building shelters, tracking animals and identifying trees, insects and birds. This is a drop-off program and registration is required.
- Pick your own pumpkins at Harris Hill Farm in New Milford on Saturday, October 1 or Sunday, October 2. For directions and information about seasonal activities at this scenic farm, see their website.
- Stop in at Stew Leonard's for the Halloween Hayride Spooktacular. Beginning on Saturday, October 1 and continuing daily through October, families can enjoy a hayride that weaves through the pumpkin patch, followed by a candy treat. The hayrides will run from 10:30 a.m. until dusk on the weekends and from 3 p.m. until dusk Monday through Friday.
- Visit the 2011 Book Sale. Preview day is Thursday, September 29 and admission is $15. Admission is free Friday, September 30 through Sunday, October 2. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. through 5 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday.