Today is Friday, September 7, the 251st day of the year.
Friday: Patchy fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 86.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. South wind around 8 mph.
Events & Reminders
Today in History
- 1776: According to American colonial reports, Ezra Lee makes the world's first submarine attack in the Turtle, attempting to attach a time bomb to the hull of the HMS Eagle in New York Harbor. (No British records of this attack exist.)
- 1927: The first fully electronic television system is achieved by Philo Taylor Farnsworth.
- 1978: While walking across Waterloo Bridge in London, Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov is assassinated by Bulgarian secret police agent Francesco Giullino by means of a ricin pellet fired from a specially-designed umbrella.
- 1979: The Chrysler Corporation asks the U.S. government for $1.5 billion to avoid bankruptcy.
- 1996: Rapper Tupac Shakur is fatally shot four times on the Las Vegas strip after leaving the Tyson-Seldon boxing match.
- 2008: The U.S. government takes control of the two largest mortgage financing companies, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.