Today is Tuesday, September 4, the 248th day of the year and Newspaper Career Day.
Tuesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 8 a.m. High near 77. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent.
Tuesday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy with a low around 68. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. New rainfall amounts of between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Events & Reminders
- A registered nurse will be on hand at today offering free cholesterol screenings beginning at 10 a.m. .
- The Board of Selectmen is holding its monthly meeting tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the (BHS) media center.
- The Lake Lillinonah Authority is meeting at 7:30 p.m. in room 227 of .
Today in History
- 1886: After almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo, with his remaining warriors, surrenders to General Nelson Miles in Arizona.
- 1888: George Eastman registered the trademark Kodak and receives a patent for his camera that uses roll film.
- 1951: The first live transcontinental television broadcast takes place in San Francisco, CA from the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference.
- 1972: Mark Spitz becomes the first competitor to win seven medals at a single Olympic Games.
- 1998: Google is founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford University.
- 2007: Three terrorists suspected to be a part of Al-Qaeda are arrested in Germany after allegedly planning attacks on both the Frankfurt international airport and U.S. military installations.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.