Today is Wednesday, September 26, the 270th day of the year.
Three Shoplifters Arrested in Four Days at Two Businesses
Patch Back: Flip-Flopping on Flip-Floppers
Wednesday: A chance of light rain before 8 a.m., then scattered showers, mainly between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. South wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Wednesday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The WPCA is meeting at 7 p.m. in room 133 of Town Hall.
- The Parks and Recreation Commission is meeting in room 209 of Town Hall at 7:30 p.m.
Today in History
- 1786: Protestors shut down the court in Springfield, MA in a military standoff that begins Shays' Rebellion.
- 1789: Thomas Jefferson is appointed the first U.S. Secretary of State, John Jay is appointed the first Chief Justice of the United States, Samuel Osgood is appointed the first Postmaster General and Edmund Randolph is appointed the first Attorney General.
- 1933: As gangster Machine Gun Kelly surrenders to the FBI, he shouts, "Don't shoot, G-Men!" which becomes a nickname for FBI agents.
- 1960: In Chicago, the first televised debate takes place between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy.
- 2008: Swiss pilot and inventor Yves Rossy becomes the first person to fly a jet engine-powered wing across the English Channel.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.