Today is Thursday, September 13, the 257th day of the year, National Celiac Disease Awareness Day in the U.S. and International Chocolate Day.
Arrests for and
Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon.
Thursday Night: Patchy fog after 4 a.m. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 53.
Events & Reminders
- Scout Troop 135 (boys 11-18) has its weekly meeting at tonight at 7 p.m. .
- The Zoning Commission is meeting at 7 p.m. in room 133 of .
Today in History
- 1501: Michelangelo begins work on his statute of David.
- 1788: The Philadelphia Convention sets the date for the first president election in the U.S. and New York City becomes the country's temporary capital.
- 1814: In a turning point in the War of 1812, the British fail to capture Baltimore, MD. During the battle, Francis Scott Key composes his poem "Defense of Fort McHenry," which is later set to music and becomes the U.S. National Anthem.
- 1922: The temperature in 'Aziziya, Libya reaches a world record 136 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 1971: State police and National Guardsmen storm New York's Attica Prison to end a prison revolt.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.