Today is Tuesday, August 14, the 227th day of the year and Primary Elections.
Tuesday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m. Patchy fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 86. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Tuesday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 3 a.m. Patchy fog after 3 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Registered party voters in Brookfield can vote in either the Democratic or Republican Primaries today from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. at (HHES) and (BHS). See the link under Headlines above for more.
- The Housatonic Valley Paddle Club is meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in room 209 of .
Today in History
- 1886: An audio recording of English composer Arthur Sullivan's "The Last Chord," one of the first recordings of music ever made, is played during a press conference introducing Thomas Edison's phonograph in London, England.
- 1911: U.S. Senate leaders agree to rotate the office of President pro tempore of the Senate among leading candidates to fill the vacancy left by William P. Frye's death.
- 1935: The Social Security Act is enacted, creating a government pension system for the retired.
- 1947: Pakistan gains Independence from the British Empire and joins the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1959: Founding and first official meeting of the American Football League.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.