Today is Monday, October 8, the 282nd day of the year and Columbus Day.
Sports: Swimming and Diving Bests Rival Pomperaug
Paving Project: Roads to Avoid This Week
Add Your Question for Consideration in President Debate
Monday: Patchy fog before 10 a.m. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a high near 59.
Monday Night: A chance of rain after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 39. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Municipal offices and Brookfield public schools are closed today for Columbus Day.
Today in History
- 1956: New York Yankee's Don Larsen pitches the only perfect game in a World Series; one of only 21 perfect games in MLB history.
- 1970: In Paris, a Communist delegation rejects President Richard Nixon's October 7 peace proposal as "a maneuver to deceive world opinion."
- 1982: Cats opens on Broadway and runs for nearly 18 years before closing on September 10, 2000.
- 2001: President George W. Bush announces the establishment of the Office of Homeland Security.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.