Today is Friday, October 5, the 279th day of the year and World Teachers' Day.
Sold: Brookfield Property Transfers
What To Do: Find Something Fun to do This Weekend
Friday: Patchy fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 79.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 56. Light southwest wind.
Events & Reminders
- The Brookfield High School Field Hockey team is holding a car wash fundraiser at Green Bubbles Car Wash Saturday beginning at 10 a.m. Follow this link for details.
- Brookfield Parks and Rec is holding their annual Scarecrow Decorating Day Saturday at 2 p.m. in front of Town Hall. Pre-registration is required. Click here for more information.
- The Dexploration Scavenger Hunt to benefit the Dex J Smenyak Foundation is Sunday starting at 9 a.m. See the event listing for details and a link to their website.
Today in History
- 1582: Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1789: Women of Paris march on Versailles to confront Louis XVI about his refusal to promulgate the decrees on the abolition of feudalism, demand bread and have the king and his court moved to Paris.
- 1921: The World Series is broadcast on the radio for the first time.
- 1962: Dr. No, the first in the James Bond film series, is released.
- 1970: The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is founded.
- 1986: Israeli secret nuclear weapons are revealed when the British newspaper The Sunday Times runs Mordechai Vanunu's story on its front page under the headline: Revealed — the secrets of Israel's nuclear arsenal."
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.