It's Monday, October 17, the 290th day of the year and the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
Today's Top Headlines
Monday: Sunny, with a high near 65. West wind between 6 and 15 mph.
Monday Night: A slight chance of showers after 2 a.m. Increasing clouds, with a low around 42. West wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Learn digital photo editing at at 6 p.m. tonight. .
- A hospice social worker and a nurse will lead a round table table discussion at the on how to offer emotional support to persons who are seriously ill.
- The at 7 p.m. in .
- at 7 p.m. at .
Today in History
- 1860: The first British Open tennis tournament is held.
- 1888: Thomas Edison files a patent for the Optical Phonograph (the first movie).
- 1931: Al Capone convicted of income tax evasion.
- 1933: Albert Einstein flees Nazi Germany and moves to the U.S.
- 1956: The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened in Sellafield, in Cumbria, England.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.