Today is Friday, October 12, the 286th day of the year and Freethought Day.
VP Debate: Who Won — Biden or Ryan
CT Senate Debate: Murphy and McMahon Square Off
Sold: Weekly Brookfield Property Transfers
Friday: A slight chance of showers between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Cloudy, then gradual clearing during the afternoon, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Friday Night: Widespread frost after 3am. Otherwise, clear, with a low around 22.
Events & Reminders
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the final runs of Into the Woods at The Brookfield Theatre for the Arts. Check out the event listing for times and read more about the show in the theater's blog.
- The annual Yankee Fair and Barn Sale starts Saturday at 9 a.m. at the Congregational Church of Brookfield. Follow this link for details or check out a blog from one of the organizers.
- The Brookfield High School field hockey team is holding a fundraising car wash at Green Bubbles Car Spa starting at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Click here for more.
- St. Marguerite Bourgeoys Church is holding their annual Public Square Rosary in honor of the 95th Anniversary of the Fatima Miracle of the Sun Saturday at 12 p.m. Find more information here.
Today in History
- 1492: Christopher Columbus' expedition makes landfall in the Caribbean, specifically in the Bahamas. The explorer believes he has reached India.
- 1810: The first Oktoberfest is held when the Bavarian royalty invites the citizens of Munich to join the celebration of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen.
- 1892: The Pledge of Allegiance is first recited by students in many U.S. public schools as part of a celebration marking teh 400th anniversary of Columbus' voyage.
- 1901: President Theodore Roosevelt renames the "Executive Mansion" to the White House.
- 1994: NASA loses radio contact with the Magellan spacecraft as the probe descends into the thick atmosphere of Venus (presumably burning up in the atmosphere).
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.