Today is Monday, May 7, the 128th day of the year.
Monday: Patchy fog before 7 a.m. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 70. West wind at 9 mph becoming south.
Monday Night: A chance of showers, mainly after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 50. South wind between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The first day of a four-day charrette on (TCD) begins tonight at 7 p.m. at the library. Click here for a detailed list of scheduled events.
- Get your Connecticut State Boating Certificate with four classes being held at (WMS) over the next two weeks. The first class begins tonight at 7 p.m. .
Today in History
- 1847: The American Medical Association (AMA) is founded in Philadelphia, PA.
- 1915: German submarine U-20 sinks RMS Lusitania, killing 1,198 people including 128 Americans. Public reaction to the sinking turns many formerly pro-Germans in the U.S. against the German Empire.
- 1952: The concept of the integrated circuit, the basis for all modern computers, is published by Geoffrey W.A. Dummer.
- 2000: Vladimir Putin is inaugurated president of Russia.
- 2004: American businessman Nick Berg is beheaded by Islamic militants. The act is recorded on videotape and released on the Internet.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.