Today is Friday, May 4, the 125th day of the year. May the Fourth be with you.
Later Today: Winner of
Friday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 66. South wind between 6 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Friday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely before midnight, then a chance of showers. Patchy fog after 2 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 56. East wind between 6 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The Curtain Players presents "Grease, the Musical," opening Friday night, with additional shows Saturday and Sunday. .
- Close to the Road will be playing live at starting at 7 p.m. .
- Straight Line Stitch is headlining Saturday at , with Sever the Drama, Extinction Level Event and more. .
- The Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting for Kids Kingdom II will be on Sunday, beginning at 1 p.m. .
Today in History
- 1776: Rhode Island becomes the first American colony to renounce allegiance to King George III.
- 1904: The U.S. begins construction of the Panama Canal.
- 1959: The 1st Grammy Awards are held.
- 1989: Former White House aide Oliver North is convicted of three crimes and acquitted of nine other charges in the Iran-Contra Affair. The convictions are later overturned on appeal.
- 2007: Greensburg, KS is almost completely destroyed by a 1.7 mile wide EF-5 tornado.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.