Today is Friday, May 25, the 146th day of the year and National Missing Children's Day.
Later Today: Winner of
Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog before 11 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 75. East wind at 9 mph becoming south. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent.
Friday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. South wind between 5 and 8 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- returns to Saturday for Spaghetti Arms Night, with doors opening at 5 p.m. .
- The annual Memorial Day Parade is Sunday at 2 p.m., starting at Williams Park, across from the , and ending at the , where they will be hosting the .
Today in History
- 1738: A treaty between Pennsylvania and Maryland ends the Conojocular War with settlement of a boundary dispute and exchange of prisoners.
- 1953: At the Nevada Test Site, the U.S. conducts their first and only nuclear artillery test.
- 1961: President John F. Kennedy announces before a special joint session of Congress his goal to initiate a project to put a "man on the Moon" before the end of the decade.
- 1979: Six-year-old Etan Patz disappears from the street just two blocks away from his New York City home, prompting an international search for the child and causing President Ronald Reagan to designate May 25 as National Missing Children's Day in 1983.
- 1986: Hands Across America takes place.
- 2011: Oprah Winfrey airs her last show, ending her 25-year run of The Oprah Winfrey Show.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.