Today is Friday, March 9, the 69th day of the year.
Later Today: Readers' Choice Winner
Friday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 44. Northwest wind between 7 and 13 mph.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 22. Northwest wind between 6 and 11 mph.
Events & Reminders
- is holding a First Tee Day event Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with half-price range balls, complimentary refreshments and TFTCT coaches and members of the University of Hartford mens golf team. .
- The "Hammer In," a gathering of blacksmiths, is Saturday starting at 10 a.m. .
- is playing at Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m..
Today in History
- 1842: The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush.
- 1933: President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the Emergency Banking Act to Congress, the first of his New Deal policies.
- 1954: CBS television broadcasts the See It Now episode, "A Report on Senator Joseph McCarthy," produced by Fred Friendly.
- 1959: The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
- 1977: In a 39 hour standoff, armed Hanafi Muslims seize three Washington, D.C. buildings, killing two and taking 149 hostage.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.