Today is Friday, March 16, the 76th day of the year and Saint Urho's Day for the Finnish community living in the U.S. and Canada.
Friday: Showers likely before 11 a.m., then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 56. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Friday Night: A chance of showers before 7 p.m. Partly cloudy, with a low around 42. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Today is the last day of the Scholastic Book Fair at , starting at 9 a.m. .
- The (BHS) National Honor Society is hosting their annual "A Little Bid of Brookfield" auction tonight, with dinner at 5:30 p.m. and the live auction starting at 6:45. .
Today in History
- 1621: Samoset, a Mohegan, visits the settlers of Plymouth Colony.
- 1801: The Army Corps of Engineers is established to found and operate the U.S. Marine Academy at West Point.
- 1861: Edward Clark becomes the governor of Texas, replacing Sam Houston, who was evicted from the office for refusing to take an oath of loyalty to the Confederacy.
- 1985: Associated Press newsman Terry Anderson is taken hostage in Beirut. He is released on December 4, 1991.
- 1995: Mississippi formally ratified the Thirteenth Amendment, becoming the last state to approve the abolition of slavery. The Thirteenth Amendment was officially ratified in 1865.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.