Today is Monday, March 12, the 72nd day of the year and World Day Against Cyber Censorship.
Monday: Sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming west between 4 and 7 mph.
Monday Night: A chance of showers, mainly after 2am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 43. Light south wind. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The Housatonic Valley Rotary Club has their monthly meeitng tonight at 6 p.m. at . .
- pre-school is holding a Scholastic Book Fair this week, with story time with the "Big Kahuna Reader" today from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. .
- Open basketball tonight in the (BHS) gym starting at 7:30 p.m. Price is $5 at the door or $60 for a season pass. .
Today in History
- 1930: Mahatma Gandhi leads a 200-mile march, known as the Salt March, to the sea in defiance of British opposition, to protest the British monopoly on salt.
- 1933: President Franklin D. Roosevelt addresses the nation for the first time as president in his first "fireside chat."
- 1993: Snow begins to fall across the eastern portions of the U.S. with tornadoes, thunder snow storms, high winds and record low temperatures. The storm, the Blizzard of 1993, lasts for 30 hours.
- 2009: Financier Bernard Madoff pleads guilty in New York to scamming $18 billion, the largest in Wall Street history.
- 2011: A reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant melts and explodes, releasing radioactivity into the atmosphere a day after a devastating earthquake.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.