Today is Tuesday, June 5, the 157th day of the year and Yo-Yo Day.
Tuesday: Showers likely, mainly after 2 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 64. North wind between 6 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Tuesday Night: Scattered showers before 2 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Light north wind. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The Water Pollution Control Authority (WPCA) has a meeting at 11 a.m. in room 209 of .
- The Lake Lillinonah Authority is meeting at 7:30 p.m. in room 227 of Town Hall.
Today in History
- 1933: The U.S. Congress abrogates the country's use of the gold standard by enacting a joint resolution nullifying the right of creditors to demand payment in gold.
- 1956: Elvis Presley introduces his new single, "Hound Dog," on The Milton Berle Show, scandalizing the audience with his suggestive hip movements.
- 1968: Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy is shot at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles by Palestinian Sirhan Sirhan. Kennedy dies the next day.
- 1981: The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that five people in Los Angeles have a rare form of pneumonia seen only in patients with weakened immune systems in what turns out to be the first recognized cases of AIDS.
- 1989: The Unknown Rebel halts the progress of a column of advancing tanks for over half an hour after the Tiananmen Square protests.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.