Today is Tuesday, June 26, the 178th day of the year and International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
Tuesday: Isolated showers between 10 a.m. and noon, then scattered showers and thunderstorms after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 71. Northwest wind between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Tuesday Night: Isolated showers before 2 a.m. Partly cloudy, with a low around 53. West wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Polls are open at (BHS) and (HHES) from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. for today's referendum on building a dog park at Happy Landings. Check out the story linked to above for details.
- Tutoring Club is holding a one-day SAT prep course today at 10 a.m. .
Today in History
- 1870: The Christian holiday of Christmas is declared a federal holiday in the U.S.
- 1934: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Federal Credit Union Act, which establishes credit unions.
- 1945: The United Nations Charter is signed in San Francisco.
- 1963: President John F. Kennedy delivers his "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech, underlining the support of the U.S. for democratic West Germany shortly after Soviet-supported East Germany erected the Berlin Wall.
- 1974: The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, OH.
- 2008: The U.S. Supreme Court rules in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment protects an individual right, and that the District of Columbia handgun ban is unconstitutional.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.