Today is Friday, June 22, the 174th day of the year.
Pick of the Day:
Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 90. Calm wind becoming west between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
Friday Night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 9 p.m. Some of the storms could be severe. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. Light north wind. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Bring the kids to Kids Kingdom today at 5:30 p.m. for Children's Planting Day and help beautify the new playground. .
- The 2012 Concert in the Park series kicks off Friday night at 6:30 p.m. at the gazebo. .
- The annual Saint Baldricks shave-a-thon fundraiser comes to Brookfield and for the first year Saturday, beginning at 10 a.m.
- The is hosting a performance by Rave On: The Music of Buddy Holly Sunday at 4 p.m. .
Today in History
- 1633: The Holy Office in Rome forces Galileo Galilei to recant his view that the Sun, not the Earth, is the center of the Universe.
- 1941: Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa.
- 1944: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs into law the Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944, commonly known as the G.I. Bill.
- 2009: Eastman Kodak Company announces that it will discontinue sales of the Kodachrome Color Film, concluding its 74-year run as a photography icon.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.