Today is Monday, July 2, the 184th day — halfway point of the year — and World UFO Day.
Monday: Sunny, with a high near 86. West wind between 3 and 11 mph.
Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 57. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Events & Reminders
- The Housatonic Valley Rotary Club is meeting at at 6 p.m., with dinner followed by a presentation. .
- The Board of Selectmen (BOS) has its monthly meeting tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the (BHS) media center. There will be a public hearing on revisions to the WPCA Ordinance beforehand at 7:15 p.m.
Today in History
- 1776: The Continental Congress adopts a resolution severing ties with the Kingdom of Great Britain although the wording of the formal Declaration of Independence is not approved until July 4.
- 1881: Charles J. Guiteau shoots and fatally wounds U.S. President James Garfield, who eventually dies from an infection on September 19.
- 1937: Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan are last heard from over the Pacific Ocean while attempting to make the first equatorial round-the-world flight.
- 1962: The first Wal-Mart store opens for business in Rogers, AR.
- 2002: Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly solo around the world nonstop in a balloon.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.