Today is Tuesday, June 19, the 171st day of the year and Juneteenth.
Tuesday: Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 77. South wind between 3 and 10 mph.
Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm.
Events & Reminders
- Family members caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's can find support at a monthly group meeting being held at 12 p.m. today at 499 Federal Road. .
- The Economic Development Commission has a regular meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in room 209.
- The Municipal Building Committee is meeting at 7 p.m. in room 119 of Town Hall.
Today in History
- 1846: The first officially recorded, organized baseball game is played under Alexander Cartwright's rules on Elysian Field in Hoboken, NJ with the New York Base Ball Club defeating the Knickerbockers 23-1. Cartwright umpired.
- 1865: Over two years after the Emancipation Proclamation, slaves in Galveston, TX are finally informed of their freedom. The anniversary is still officially celebrated in Texas and 13 other contiguous states at Juneteenth.
- 1964: The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is approved after surviving an 83-day filibuster in the U.S. Senate.
- 1978: The comic strip Garfield makes its debut; it would go on to hold the Guinness World Record for the world's most widely syndicated strip.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.