Today is Friday, June 1, the 153rd day of the year and International Children's Day.
Friday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 75. Northeast wind 8 to 14 mph becoming southeast.
Friday Night: A chance of showers, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 3am. Low around 58. East wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Brookfield Relay For Life is this Saturday at (BHS). .
- The Brookfield Lions are holding their annual Shred Day at starting at 9 a.m. Safely shred important documents for $5 a box. .
- The is hosting the Kids' Day Fair on Sunday starting at 11 a.m. The annual open house includes safety demonstrations from local emergency responders, fire truck rides and a live burn scenario. Check out the video above from last year's fair or .
- The 's bell choirs will be performing Sunday at 3:30 p.m. at the church. .
Today in History
- 1495: Friar John Cor records the first known batch of scotch whisky.
- 1779: Benedict Arnold, a general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, is court-martialed for malfeasance.
- 1974: The Heimlich maneuver for rescuing choking victims is published in the journal Emergency Medicine.
- 1980: Cable News Network (CNN) begins broadcasting.
- 2009: General Motors files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the fourth largest U.S. bankruptcy in history.
- 2011: A rare tornado outbreak occurs in New England; a strong EF3 tornado strikes Springfield, MA during the event, killing four people.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.