Today is Monday, July 16, the 198th day of the year.
Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 91. West wind 5 to 8 mph.
Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 67. Light northwest wind.
Events & Reminders
- Before the Dark Knight Rises comes out on July 20, teens can watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight today at 4 p.m. at the . .
Today in History
- 622: The beginning of the Islamic calendar.
- 1790: The District of Columbia is established as the capital of the U.S. after signature of the Residence Act.
- 1941: Joe DiMaggio hits safely for the 56th consecutive game, a streak that still stands as a MLB record.
- 1945: The Atomic Age begins when the U.S. successfully detonates a plutonium-based test nuclear weapon near Alamogordo, NM.
- 1969: Apollo 11, the first manned space mission to the Moon, is launched from the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, FL.
- 1999: John F. Kennedy, Jr., piloting a Piper Saratoga aircraft, dies when his plane crashes into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Martha's Vineyard. His wife Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy and sister-in-law Lauren Bessette are also killed.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.