It's Friday, January 13, the 13th day of the year and the Old New Year in the Julian calendar.
Today's Top Headlines
Friday: A chance of rain showers before 11 a.m., then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 30 by 4 p.m. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 13 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. West wind between 14 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Events & Reminders
- and are hosting a screening of Kung Fu Panda 2 for kids tonight at 7 p.m. on their large projection screen. .
- It's a three-day weekend in commemoration of Martin Luther King Day, meaning and will be closed on Monday.
Today in History
- 1842: Dr. William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War, becomes famous for being the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers when he reaches the safety of a garrison in Jalalabad.
- 1847: The Treaty of Cahuenga ends the Mexican-American War in California.
- 1869: National convention of black leaders meets in Washington, D.C.
- 1910: The first public radio broadcast takes place, a live performance of the opera Cavalleria rusticana is sent out over the airwaves from the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City.
- 1968: Johnny Cash performs live at Folsom Prison.
- 2001: An earthquake hits El Salvador, killing more than 800.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.