Today is Thursday, February 23, the 54th day of the year.
Urban Archeologist: Matchbook Madness
Thursday: A chance of showers, mainly before 8 a.m. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 55. West wind 7 to 10 mph increasing to between 15 and 18 mph. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Thursday Night: Rain, mainly after 4 a.m. Low around 34. Calm wind becoming east between 5 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent.
Events & Reminders
- The Board of Selectmen have a special meeting scheduled to deliberate on the budget tonight at 6:30 p.m. in Town Hall.
- The Zoning Commission is meeting in Town Hall at 7 p.m.
Today in History
- 1455: Traditional date for the publication of the Gutenberg Bible, the first Western book printed with movable type.
- 1836: The Battle of the Alamo begins in San Antonio.
- 1861: President-elect Abraham Lincoln arrives secretly in Washington, D.C., after the thwarting of an alleged assassination plot in Baltimore.
- 1905: Chicago attorney Paul Harris and three other businessmen meet for lunch to form the Rotary Club, the world's first service club.
- 1945: During the Battle of Iwo Jima, a group of U.S. Marines and a U.S. Navy Corpsman reach the top of Mount Suribachi on the island and are photographed raising the American flag.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.