Today is Wednesday, February 16, the 47th day of the year.
Thursday: Rain likely, mainly after 4 p.m. Increasing clouds, with a high near 45. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Thursday Night: Periods of rain and snow, mainly before 3 a.m. Low around 34. South wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Events & Reminders
- music venue is hosting PopPunk Explosion 2012, a four-day festival starting tonight at 6 p.m. .
- The Charter Revision Commission in meeting in tonight at 7 p.m. .
Today in History
- 1923: Howard Carter unseals the burial chamber of Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
- 1960: The U.S. Navy submarine USS Triton begins Operation Sandblast, setting sail from New London to begin the first submerged circumnavigation of the globe.
- 1968: The first 9-1-1 emergency telephone system goes into service in Haleyville, AL.
- 1987: The trial of John Demjanjuk, accused of being a Nazi guard dubbed "Ivan the Terrible" in Treblinka extermination camp, starts in Jerusalem.
- 2005: The National Hockey League cancels the entire 2004-05 regular season and playoffs, becoming the first major sports league in North America to do so over a labor dispute.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.