Today is Tuesday, February 14, the 45th day of the year and Valentines Day.
Tuesday: Cloudy, with a high near 42. Calm wind becoming west between 5 and 8 mph.
Tuesday Night: A slight chance of rain and snow before 9pm, then a slight chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Events & Reminders
- Super 7 BNI will be holding an open house for prospective new members at at 7 a.m. .
- Brookfield youth ages 12 to 18 can join the today for a teen "UnValentines Day Party" starting at 4 p.m. .
- The Housatonic Valley Paddle Club is meeting tonight in at 7 p.m.
Today in History
- 1778: The U.S. Flag is formally recognized by a foreign naval vessel for the first time when French Admiral Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte rendered a nine-gun salute to USS Ranger, commanded by John Paul Jones.
- 1849: In New York City, James Knox Polk becomes the first sitting president to have his photograph taken.
- 1876: Alexander Graham Bell applies for a patent for the telephone, as does Elisha Gray.
- 1912: The first diesel-powered submarine is commissioned in Groton, CT.
- 1929: Seven people, six of them gangster rivals of Al Capone's gang, are murdered in Chicago in what becomes known as the Valentine's Day massacre.
- 1945: President Franklin D. Roosevelt meets with King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia aboard the USS Quincy, officially starting the U.S.-Saudi diplomatic relationship.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.