Today is Friday, December 9, the 343rd day of the year and International Anti-Corruption Day.
Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 44. Southwest wind between 6 and 11 mph.
Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. West wind between 6 and 9 mph.
Events & Reminders
- Bring your letters to Santa to the between today and December 16 with a self-addressed, stamped envelope and you'll get a response before Christmas. .
- start today and will continue through the weekend. .
- Meet rescued retired racing greyhounds and find out about adopting a 45-mile-an-hour couch potato at monthly greyhound adoptions at . .
Today in History
- 1793: New York City's first daily newspaper, the American Minerva, is established by Noah Webster.
- 1851: the first YMCA is North America is established in Montreal, Quebec.
- 1965: The Kecksburg UFO incident: a fireball is seen from Michigan to Pennsylvania. Witnesses report something crashing in the woods near Pittsburgh. In 2005 NASA admits that it examined the object.
- 1979: The eradication of the smallpox virus is certified, making it the first and, to date, only human disease driven to extinction.
- 2008: The Governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, is arrested by federal officials for a number of alleged crimes including attempting to sell the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by President-elect Barack Obama.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.