Today is Wednesday, August 8, the 221st day of the year.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind 3 to 7 mph.
Events & Reminders
- The Conservation Commission is meeting at 6 p.m. in room 209.
- The Board of Finance has its monthly meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the media center.
- The Candlewood Lake Authority is meeting in room 133 of Town Hall at 7:30 p.m.
Today in History
- 1876: Thomas Edison receives a patent for his mimeograph.
- 1908: Wilbur Wright makes his first public flight at a racecourse at Le Mans, France.
- 1969: At a zebra crossing in London, photographer Iain Macmillan takes the photo that becomes the cover of the Beatles album Abbey Road, one of the most famous album covers in recording history.
- 1974: President Richard Nixon, in a nationwide television address, announces his resignation from the office of the presidency effective noon the next day.
- 1990: Iraq occupies and annexes Kuwait, leading to the Gulf War shortly after.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.