Today is Monday, August 6, the 219th day of the year.
Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Northwest wind 8 to 13 mph.
Monday Night: Clear, with a low around 53. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Events & Reminders
- The Brookfield Library's Teen Program is offering a Ninja Challenge today at 4 p.m. .
- The Board of Selectmen has its monthly meeting tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the media center. Before the monthly meeting, there will be a special town meeting on the at 6:30 p.m. and a public hearing on an
Today in History
- 1926: Harry Houdini performs his greatest feat, spending 91 minutes underwater in a sealed tank before escaping.
- 1945: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning.
- 1953: Pope Pius XII establishes the Dioceses of Norwich and Bridgeport and makes the Diocese of Hartford an archdiocese.
- 1965: President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law.
- 1991: Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.