Today is Friday, August 24, the 237th day of the year and International Day Against Intolerance, Discrimination and Violence Based on Musical Preferences, Lifestyle and Dress Code.
Friday: Patchy fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 88. Light and variable wind.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 59. Calm wind.
Events & Reminders
- The Brookfield Lions will be holding a charity golf tournament at Fairview Farm Golf Course in Harwinton today at 11:30 a.m. .
- Tonight's Concert in the Park, featuring Bock & Blu, will also include a special Back to School meet-and-gret organized by the CES and HHES PTOs. .
- The residents of 11 Old Woods Road have advertised a BIG garage sale Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. .
- Two local authors, Jeannine Green and Eileen M. Buchheit, will be signing copies of their book, Roxbury and Bridgewater, at in Brookfield at 1 p.m. Saturday. .
- is holding their 10th annual Jazz Party on Sunday, starting at 4 p.m. Free ice cream will be available for a half hour before the show starts. .
Today in History
- 1857: The Panic of 1857 begins, setting off one of the most severe economic crises in U.S. history.
- 1891: Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera.
- 1967: Led by Abbie Hoffman, the Youth International Party temporarily disrupts trading at the New York Stock Exchange by throwing dollar bills from the viewing gallery, causing trading to cease as brokers scramble to grab them.
- 1981: Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for murdering John Lennon.
- 2006: The International Astronomical Union (IAU) redefines the term "planet" such that Pluto is recategorized as a Dwarf Planet.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.