Today is Monday, August 20, the 233rd day of the year.
Monday: Scattered showers. Cloudy, with a high near 74. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Monday Night: Scattered showers before 2 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- seniors Hannah Lyon and Adonai Sebastian are leading a Culture Camp for 5th and 6th graders today starting at 8 a.m. at the Congregational Church of Brookfield. .
Today in History
- 1858: Charles Darwin first publishes his theory of evolution through natural selection in The Journal of the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London alongside Alfred Russel Wallace's same theory.
- 1866: President Andrew Johnson formally declares the American Civil War over.
- 1938: Lou Gehrig hits his 23rd career grand slam — a record that still stands.
- 1940: British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line "Never was so much owed by so many to so few."
- 1977: NASA launches the Voyager 2 spacecraft.
- 1998: The U.S. launches cruise missile attacks against alleged al-Qaida camps in Afghanistan and a suspected chemical plant in Sudan in retaliation for the August 7 bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.