Today is Wednesday, August 1, the 214th day of the year and Statehood Day in Colorado.
Wednesday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Cloudy, with a high near 81. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
Wednesday Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 8 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- is holding a free Olympic Celebration starting at 5 p.m. for kids ages 6-16. .
- The Conservation Commission is meeting at 6 p.m. in room 119 of .
- The Police Commission has its monthly meeting in room 133 of Town Hall at 7 p.m.
Today in History
- 1291: The Old Swiss Confederacy is formed with the signature of the Federal Charter.
- 1620: The Speedwell leaves Delfshaven, bringing the Pilgrims to America by way of England.
- 1957: The U.S. and Canada form the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD).
- 1981: MTV begins broadcasting in the U.S. and airs its first video, "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles.
- 2001: Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore has a Ten Commandments monument installed in the judiciary building, leading to a lawsuit to have it removed and his own removal from office.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.