Today is Wednesday, September 5, the 249th day of the year.
Wednesday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 4 p.m., then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4 p.m. Cloudy with a high near 83. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent.
Wednesday Night: A chance of showers, mainly before 7 p.m. Partly cloudy, with a low around 61. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
Events & Reminders
- in Brookfield is offering a women's self-defense course tonight at 7 p.m. Registration is $60. .
- The Board of Education has a regular meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in the (BHS) media center.
- The Conservation Commission is meeting at 7 p.m. in room 119 of .
- The Police Commission is meeting in room 133 of Town Hall at 7 p.m.
Today in History
- 1698: In an effort to Westernize his nobility, Tsar Peter I of Russia imposes a tax on beards for all men except the clergy and peasantry.
- 1774: First Continental Congress assembles in Philadelphia, PA.
- 1882: The first U.S. Labor Day parade is held in New York City.
- 1906: The first legal forward pass in American football is thrown by Bradbury Robinson of St. Louis University to teammate Jack Schneider in a 22-0 victory over Carroll College (Wisconsin).
- 1945: Igor Gouzenko, a Soviet Union embassy clerk, defects to Canada, exposing Soviet espionage in North America, signaling the beginning of the Cold War.
- 1972: A Palestinian terrorist group called "Black September" attack and take hostage 11 Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympic Games. Two die in the attack and nine die the following day.
Weather information taken from the National Weather Service. Today in History compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.