Halloween is just around the corner and nothing is more important than to make sure the kids are enjoying themselves while at the same time being safe.
From building trick-or-treat maps to picking the right costume, here are some apps to help kids feel better prepared and parents to feel more at ease.
Apps for Android users
- Costumes for Halloween — This app, developed by Sprouts Lab, contains the largest collection of Halloween costumes on Android. Not sure what you want to be? Just shake your phone and it will suggest a costume for you. If a store-bought costume isn't your style, there's a Basic How-To Halloween Makeup from Eztakes Inc. (cost: $6.99) to learn how to transform into monsters like zombies and vampires.
- AT&T Family Map — make sure your children are safe, and that they're where they said they'd be, with this app from AT&T. This app allows you to check the location of a family member on your mobile phone or PC through the GPS on their mobile device (*monthly fee applies).
Apps for iOS users
- Halloween Costumes Fashion Fun — With iOS apps designed for children and adults, this is the perfect way to figure out what you and your children are going to wear to wear to that Halloween party.
- Dark Haunts — Find the scariest places near you with this haunted site locator app (cost: $0.99).
- Flashlight — Why carry a clunky flashlight weighed down by "D" batteries, when your phone can do the job just as well? This flashlight app lights the way and keeps you headed in the right direction with a built-in compass.
- Trick or Treating — This map app allows you to carefully plan your children's trick or treating route, guides them with GPS navigation and allows you to input nearby safe locations such as Grandma's house for your kids to return to in the event they get lost or tired. If they're traveling by bicycle, or if you're going along with a stroller, mount your phone and use it as a GPS with the iBolt Universal Bike Handlebar Mount and Case ($25).
For more Halloween stories, check the Halloween section on Brookfield Patch.